Sunday, September 4, 2016

Hens are laying again!

Woohoo! The hens are laying eggs again!

They just came out of molt and have started laying once again. I really thought two of them would never lay again, due to their age. But today (September 2, 2016) I got three eggs from 4 hens.

I know. I get way too excited about things like this, but I was wondering if I was going to need to stew a couple of the old girls. I guess not.

I still plan to get 2 or 3 more young laying hens soon, but at least we are back in the egg business (not literally) again and I won’t have to buy anymore of those weak, watery store-bought eggs for awhile.

My next purchase, besides laying hens, will be a solar shed light for the coop. That way I can check on them easily at night if I hear any unusual noises out that way. The shed lights are very low wattage with just a few LED bulbs in them, so they don’t cast a lot of light. But they do give enough to see by if I go out there at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment