Thursday, October 20, 2016

Catching up!

I have been remiss in posting to my blog as I should, so I’ll spend the next few days trying to get everyone caught up.

It’s been busy here, trying to get the new homestead established enough before winter so that we and the animals can at least be somewhat comfortable. Being off grid means really making careful plans and doing some work that just won’t wait.

For instance, I have put away all my yarns, knitting, looming, and crocheting in order to get more food storage in place, get the animal shelters somewhat winterized, and get the water line in better shape (into a trench) to use it inside instead of doing everything outside. There will be plenty of decent days I can do dishes and laundry outside, but there will be plenty more where the temps just won’t allow it.

When November comes, we’ll be getting at least some insulation into the cabin and we’ll finish burying the water line and wrap it where it comes out of the ground. I’m sure the insulation won’t be all we need to have in here, but even a little is better than none! It will help not only with the cold in the winter but with the heat in the summer.

I’ve posted several videos about what we’re doing to get ready outside for winter weather. I’ll link those in future blog posts. In the meantime, we continue to strive to get the most out of this homestead that we can as we make plans for next year’s garden and orchard, additional fences for the livestock, and and expanded chicken run and coop for more chickens.

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment