Thursday, September 28, 2017

Baked French Toast with apple pie topping

Have you ever been called a cheapskate? I have, and I own  that title!! I have some bread that isn't bad but it's going stale and dry. I hate throwing food away, so we looked for a tasty way to use it up, and found one. Baked French Toast.

I will say, as with almost any recipe I find, I wind up making it my own by tweaking it here and there and using ingredients I have on hand. That's what we did today, too. My son actually did all the work in making this yummy lunch treat.

In the meantime, here's the recipe we worked out.

Baked French Toast with Apple Pie Topping

Preheat oven to 350F

8 to 10 slices stale bread
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
3/4 tablespoon vanilla
1 pint of apple pie filling (You could also use a can of apple pie filling)

Lay the bread slices, overlapping slightly, in a well greased 9x13 baking pan or dish.

Mix the eggs, milk, and vanilla very well until light and frothy. Pour the mixture over the bread and let it soak a couple of minutes. Drop spoonfuls of the apple pie filling over the top and spread it out.

Cover with foil and slip into preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Remove foil and finish baking, another 30 minutes, or until lightly browned and toothpick test proves doneness.

Remove from oven. Let rest 10 minutes. Serve it warm on a plate with melted butter drizzled over or powdered sugar sprinkled on.

Here's a picture of the finished product, plated. It was super good. Like a cross between bread pudding and custard, with a hint of apple pie thrown in!




And here's the video showing how we did it!


No comments:

Post a Comment