Thursday, October 12, 2017

Sweet Potato Biscuits

I had a couple of leftover baked sweet potatoes that I needed to do something with. I hate wasting food, so I thought I'd work up a recipe for sweet potato biscuits. They turned out more chewy than I normally make, but the texture really resembles English Muffins, so I think if I'd cut them differently and baked them on cornmeal, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference!



Here's the recipe I worked up:

Sweet Potato Biscuits

  • 2 medium baked sweet potatoes, peeled and mashed
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cups milk  
Mix together dry ingredients, then cut in the mashed sweet potatoes. Add milk a little at a time until you have a soft but not too sticky dough. Turn out on floured surface, pat the dough out, fold it over in half, repeating this move 4 times. Flatten to about 1/2 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet or in ungreased cake pan. Bake in preheated 400F oven for 20 minutes or until tops are cracked and biscuits spring back when touched. Brush with butter and serve hot.

Yield: about 18 biscuits.





No comments:

Post a Comment