Thursday, February 25, 2016

Another rooster dispatching delay

Today was very windy and cold. That makes me a bit sad because I had hoped we could get out and dispatch the rest of the roosters. However, I can't keep a fire going when using one of the butane e-stoves so we can scald them for plucking.

Right now we have 7 big roosters, plus 2 grown turkeys, that need to be butchered. They are getting too old to be fryers so we'll probably wind up deboning them and grinding them up for poultry burger. I'll can some of that and freeze the rest. Might even try making a small batch of sausage from it. We'll see.

A couple of weeks ago we did get one rooster dispatched. Then, the weather got cold and windy again. By the time it was nicer weather it was time to start planting garden beds. I still need to get some seeds started, but first, those roosters need to go! Especially the one that bit my hand hard enough to make it bleed. He's first! He got hold of the skin on my hand and shook his head like a dog while he had it!

Here's a short video of when we dispatched the first one. There's no gore so you don't have to worry about that, and it's a slide show. There are enough folks online who demonstrate killing chickens already, and they do it very well, that I feel no need to go into all that.



No comments:

Post a Comment