Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Homestead Cheapskate: Eggy supper from frozen eggs

I still have eggs in my freezer from late last summer, so I’m trying to use them up before we move. I probably have another 2 dozen to go, but today I made a sort of pizza flavored self-crusting quiche with 6 of them.

If you freeze eggs, you will need to plan a day ahead to use them since they need to thaw in the fridge. Trying to quick-thaw them just means you wind up cooking them!

Last year, I bought some small portion cups with lids. Each cup holds one whole egg. I washed the eggs (remember, they were fresh from the hen house), then cracked each one into a portion cup. Then, I added a pinch of salt and gently stirred them just enough to break the yolk but not enough to incorporate air. Air in them will make them freezer burn faster. I stacked them in the freezer, level, until they froze solid. If I remember right, the cups were 2 ounces each.



Recently, I’ve been working on using them up in as many ways as possible. They aren’t suitable for fried eggs, but they are ok for scrambled eggs or for using in recipes.

My “quiche” recipe is pretty basic and simple:
  • 1/2 cup plain flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 6 eggs, mixed together
  • 1 cup milk
Mix all together well and add other ingredients you like or are trying to use up, such as chopped or shredded cheese, chopped onions, chopped bell pepper, spinach or other greens, bacon/sausage if you want, herbs, seasonings. It’s really up to you. I don’t go over about 2 cups total of extra ingredients.

For today’s supper, I used a bit over a cup of canned diced tomatoes that were in the fridge, some fresh oregano and rosemary I chopped up, about a half cup of cheddar cheese I sliced thin, and some garlic powder. I mixed all that into the basic egg mixture, poured it into a well-greased skillet, and baked it at 350F for about 45 minutes. The top was bubbly and a knife inserted in the center came out clean. It won’t get a real pie crust on it, but the bottom and up the sides a bit will be crusty.
I served this with Parmesan cheese and home canned salsa.



With just Parmesan cheese.



With home canned salsa on top.


It turned out very good with a pizza-like flavor and aroma. Mozzarella cheese over the top of it would have really been awesome, but I forgot to get that out of the freezer.

If you make this, let me know how you did yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment