Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The Homestead Cheapskate - Popcorn off-grid style

It's been years since I made popcorn on the stove in a skillet. I remember it being so good! Well, I have a harder time shaking a cast iron skillet and lid over the stove these days, so I looked up Alton Brown's method in a steel mixing bowl.

Did a half batch in a steel bowl and burnt it to a crisp! LOL So, I got out my smallest stock pot and lid and did a regular size batch in that. I still scorched it a little (practice makes perfect) but it was mostly very good. We've been craving some popcorn and this seemed like the perfect time to try it.

Instead of melted butter, I mixed coconut oil and butter powder together. Then, when the popcorn was done, I heated the "butter" just till it started to melt and poured it over the popcorn. Sprinkled in some Parmesan cheese, too. My son added Louisiana hot sauce to his portion. I just wanted the buttered-parm cheese alone without hot sauce. We ate all but the scorched pieces of the popcorn, which will go to the chickens tomorrow. (They have less discerning taste than we do.)

Here's the directions I followed -- mostly. I don't have peanut oil so I used corn oil instead, but I did do the method in the recipe. Next time, I'll use lower heat.

Alton Brown Perfect Popcorn

We are never disappointed with recipes and tips from his channel and website. And, best of all, so many things he does are just fine for off-grid cooking! You can't really get much cheaper than a batch of popcorn for a nighttime snack or for eating while watching a movie. I hope I can get one of the actual stove top poppers to make it a bit easier!

By the way, I get nothing for linking to the popcorn recipe. I just thought y'all might enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment